Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer Time!

Things get busy but I don't feel like I have actually done any more than I usually do! Perception is an odd thing!

I recently, in the last month, completed a set of cushions for a friend. He is an avid guitarist who finally found a straight back chair to sit in while he plays. I agreed to help out and made this set of cushions. Considering I didn't have a pattern and it has been years since I did any upholstery work, they came out okay. They are functional and adequate for his long hours of practice/playing. I like the fabric and it matches his other furniture well. We didn't pick it out with that in mind, it just did when I brought them over!
The photo was taken by another friend who has been exploring photography and video production for his developing web site: Smiling Chi

The QuiltArt Challenge has been posted on line, a total of 80 15X15 inch quilts all unique! The QuiltArt Quinceanera!
Enjoy! My entry is a crazy quilt I have posted about when it was under construction!

Still Crazy After All These Years!

The statement:
The Quilt Art 15th anniversary challenge called out for velvet and satin, a celebration of 'coming of age,' a Quinceanero. For years I have been collecting materials to 'one day' make a crazy quilt. I think of crazy quilts as the original art quilts, using surface design, often to express a specific meaning. In 2003 I joined QA and participated in my first ever challenge. That was a transitional quilt for me. I began using beads, buttons, baubles and fibers, doodling on the surface of my quilts. I visited hundreds of QA list member's websites,saw the amazing work being done, all the possibilities. QA challenges are often the inspiration for my expression. Designing, piecing and doodling have become the heart of my personal meditations. Challenge themes focus my mind's dialogue. Finding ways to express the accompanying emotions and ideas brings me to greater awareness of myself. Each of the 15 sections went through any number of design transformations before taking their final form. Some are representative of specific ideas, others are purely fantasy.

I'm working on designing my Fabric Challenge entry for this years Innovations Machine Quilting convention in Tacoma, WA. It is an awesome batik! More on this at a later time!

1 comment:

Mystic Silks http:mysticsilks.etsy.com said...

That's a beauty of a quilt--Crazy After All these Years--was and still is one of my favorite oldies--:)
Beauty of a quilt!